I have been making my own granola for years now and for the past 4 years, it has been grain free, which, in my mind makes it more nutrient dense and versatile. It can be used as a snack, as a breakfast cereal with fruit and yogurt or choice of milk, as a topping for baked apples or pancakes – to name a few. Last night I switched off the auto pilot and put together this new version inspired by a few of the most wonderful products I have discovered over the last few months:
- Dried pomegranate from Organic Traditions. Pomegranates deliver anti oxidants, vitamin C, vitamin K, polyphenols (great for heart health and anti cancer) and fibre to the mix. Granted, the drying process may negatively affect the vitamin c content somewhat but everything else should pretty much be there. Also, they look festive and at this time of year that is always a plus.
- Austrian Pumpkin Seeds: raw, organic, deep green and absolutely delicious these beauties deliver zinc, a valuable mineral for immune function and prostate health. In addition they deliver magnesium, manganese, copper, protein And Phytosterols and anti oxidants. As a result of all this, pumpkin seeds deliver health benefits for pretty much everyone (prostate health for men, hormone balance for women and immunity for all) and are a perfect snack.
- Austrian Pumpkin Seed Oil: This, dear reader is the piece de resistance, the ingredient in this particular version of granola that brings an inimitable flavour and nutritional profile to the mix is my new favourite product. This oil is made from the seeds I describe above and I truly have never tasted anything like it. I could go on and on but instead will give you the link to their website http://www.styriangold.ca and let you read about it yourself. Rarely do we find things that taste as good as they are for you – this one is worth every penny – treat yourself. If you live close by I sometimes have a few bottles in stock, drop me a note and I might just sell you one 🙂 although I do tend to hoard it.
The following recipe makes about 10 days worth in my house – that’s with 2-3 people eating it almost every morning. Because of the ingredient list (no fillers) a little goes a long way – the boys like to mix it with a banana, frozen berries and plain, organic whole milk yogurt (Pinehedge is our favourite brand for cow’s milk or Baa for Sheeps Milk).
- 2 cups Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 cups sunflower seeds
- 1 cup black sesame seeds
- 2 cups almonds
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened organic coconut
- 1 cup dried pomegranate seeds
- 3 tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup
- 3 tablespoons Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil
The instructions are the same as my other granola recipes:
- Buy only raw and organic nuts and seeds
- soak them 4-6 hours in filtered water with 1/2-1 TBSP of grey sea salt
- dehydrate them till they are dry crisp but not roasted.
- Leave the seeds whole, chop the nuts coarsely in a food processor or blender (careful you don’t turn them to dust)
- mix all your dry ingredients and then oil and maple syrup and store in jars in the fridge.