Broccoli Butter Sauce
Full disclosure: Although I really wish I had, I did not come up with this recipe myself. However, I can tell you that every person in my world who has tasted it has come back for more. It’s from the Bulletproof Diet Book and it’s under Creamed Vegetables which I personally do not find an appealing title – hence the title of this post. For more recipes of this ilk check out this link: https://www.bulletproofexec.com/category/recipes/ or even better buy the Bulletproof Diet Cook Book – it is full of tasty dishes that deliver high on the nutrient density scale. Back to this particular recipe:
Why you should try it:
- It is filled with good fats, from grass fed butter to MCT Oil, it includes the goodness of broccoli plus, this version, includes oregano which is not only delicious but one of the most powerful health boosting herbs on the planet.
- It takes literally minutes to make in your blender – with 1/3 of the broccoli you just finished steaming.
3 Ways to use it:
- Poured over steamed broccoli it will bring a tear to your eye – not that steamed broccoli isn’t amazing on it’s own but this, well this just takes it to the next level.
- Bake any white fish fillet and pour this sauce over top, maybe with a bit of extra lemon – or not, you be the judge.
- Pour over any steamed greens (like the Kale with soft boiled egg for breakfast I recently posted on Instagram)….
Recipe: makes enough for 3 people – or 2 it depends 🙂
- 1 Bunch Broccoli
- 3 TBSP Grass Fed Butter
- 2 TBSP MCT Oil (I like *Brain Octane but there are other brands out there)
- 1/2 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano (use fresh if you have it OR if you want to supercharge your dish add 1-2 drops oregano oil)
- Sea Salt to taste
Steam the broccoli till tender but still bright green. Place 1/3 of it while it is still hot in your blender with all the other ingredients – blend till smooth. If you like you can use a bit of the steaming water to achieve a lighter consistency (& more volume) but go slow so you don’t water it down too much.
Note: If you know you do not tolerate dairy you will need to replace the butter with one of: ghee, extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin avocado oil or, you could try Macadamia Oil as it tastes a bit like butter – this may make your sauce a bit oily so one hack would be to add a tablespoon or so of Collagen Powder – this would add protein and some body to the sauce.
Nutrition Info for 1/3 recipe: 198 cal; 1g Carb, 20 g fat, 1g protein, 2 g Fibre
** MCT Oil: Is the fraction of the coconut oil that your liver will convert into ketones that your brain loves to run on. The most powerful one you are after is the C8 chain – most of the ones you will find combine C8 and C10, this is not bad just different. I use the Bulletproof Brain Octane because it is pure C8 and Dave Asprey is a total freak about quality which is generally a good thing when it comes to supplements and such. That said, the Bulletproof products are pricey – if you want some, shoot me an email otherwise you can find MCT oils in Health Food stores. NOW brand makes one that is reasonably priced – it is a combination of C8 and C10